Welcome, By-Godders, to The Shotgun Throwdown, WVU’s best place for sports links, news, sophomore humor, and everyday distractions.
The West Virginia gymnastics team has earned a spot in the 2022 NCAA Championships. The Mountaineers are 13-5 head-to-head this season and recently finished in third place in the Big 12 Championship. WVU was selected for the Norman, Oklahoma, Regional NCAA Championships. The host Sooners are the best team in the country and won the conference championship. This is the seventh straight time the Mountaineers have qualified for regional NCAA championship competition. Last season, WVU won its first-round meeting against Penn State, but finished in third place in the second session, which prevented the team from advancing. This year, the Mountaineers will face Arizona in the first round in Norman. The Wildcats went 2-7 in head-to-head competition this year and, like WVU, finished in third place in their conference championship. This game between the Mountaineers and the Wildcats is scheduled for Wednesday, March 30 at 4:00 p.m. ET.
MORE NCAA ACTIONS
Members of the West Virginia men’s swimming and diving team also compete in the NCAA Championship competition. Fifth-year senior David Dixon and senior PJ Lenz are the two climbers who qualified for the championships. Dixon will swim in the 100 butterfly, 200 IM and 200 butterfly. He is also the first swimmer in WVU history to qualify for the NCAA championships five years in a row. Lenz is making his second appearance at the NCAA Championships and will dive in the springboard and 1-meter platform.
WEST VIRGINIA OVERVIEW
- West Virginia tennis junior Ting-Pei Chang and rookie Camilla Bossi are now ranked in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association doubles rankings. This is the first time in WVU history that a pair of doubles has been ranked.
- The West Virginia baseball team will now host Youngstown State tonight, tomorrow and Saturday, instead of Friday through Sunday. All three games of this home series for the Mountaineers will air on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.
AROUND THE BIG 12
- Texas Tech is one of three Big 12 men’s basketball teams in the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet Sixteen. The Red Raiders take on Duke tonight on CBS.
AROUND THE NCAA
- The Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament kicks off with top-seeded Gonzaga facing Arkansas tonight at 7:09 p.m. ET on CBS. The Bulldogs are favored by almost 10 points in this game.
- After narrowly making its way into the tournament, Michigan’s basketball team is looking to continue its “Cinderella” run. Wolverines take on Villanova tonight on TBS.
- Tonight’s Sweet Sixteen games will end with Arizona taking on Houston.
- The Kansas City Chiefs traded wide receiver Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins for five draft picks.
Got any tips, suggestions, or requests for what you want to see in The Shotgun Throwdown? Feel free to leave a comment below or contact us on social media.
Facebook: The smoking musket